[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Q: Recommened directory for RA auxillary files?

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Sep 5 10:17:35 EDT 2019

On Thu, 2019-09-05 at 07:57 +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> Nachricht
> <2634f19382b90736bdfb80b9c84997111479d337.camel at redhat.com>:
> > On Wed, 2019‑09‑04 at 10:07 +0200, Jehan‑Guillaume de Rorthais
> > wrote:

> > > Shouldn't it be $OCF_FUNCTIONS_DIR?
> >
> > Good point ‑‑ if the RA is using ocf‑shellfuncs, yes. $OCF_ROOT/lib
> > should be safe if the RA doesn't use ocf‑shellfuncs.
> >
> > It's a weird situation; the OCF standard actually specifies
> > /usr/ocf,
> > but everyone implemented /usr/lib/ocf. I do plan to add a configure
> > option for it in pacemaker, but it shouldn't be changed unless you
> > can
> > make the same change in every other cluster component that needs
> > it.
>
> The thing with $OCF_ROOT is: If $OCF_ROOT already contains "/lib", it
> looks
> off to add another "/lib".

It does look weird, but that's the convention in use today.

I hope we eventually get to the point where the .../lib and
.../resource.d locations are configure-time options, and distros can
choose whatever's consistent with their usual policies. For those that
follow the FHS, it might be something like /usr/lib/ocf or
/usr/share/ocf, and /usr/libexec/ocf.

However all cluster components installed on a host must be configured
the same locations, so that will require careful coordination. It's
easier to just keep using the current ones :)

> To me it looks as if it's time for an $OCF_LIB (which would be
> $OCF_ROOT if
> the latter is /usr/lib/ocf already, otherwise $OCF_ROOT/lib).
> Personally I
> think the /usr/<something> predates the
> [/usr][/share]]/lib/<something>.
>

> > > Could this be generalized to RA for their
> > > own lib or permanent dependencies files?
> >
> > The OCF standard specifies only the resource.d subdirectory, and
> > doesn't comment on adding others. lib/heartbeat is a common choice
> > for
> > the resource‑agents package shell includes (an older approach was
> > put them as dot files in resource.d/heartbeat, and there are often
> > symlinks at those locations for backward compatibility).
> >
> > Since "heartbeat" is a resource agent provider name, and the
> > standard
> > specifies that agents go under resource.d/<provider‑name>, it does
> > make
> > sense that lib/<provider‑name> would be where RA files would go.
>
> I wonder when we will be able to retire "heartbeat" ;-) If it's
> supposed to be
> of "vendor" type, maybe replace it with "clusterlabs" at some time...

Definitely, that's been the plan for a while, it's just another change
that will require coordination across multiple components.

The hope is that we can at some point wrap up the OCF 1.1 standard, and
then move forward some of the bigger changes. It's just hard to
prioritize that kind of work when there's a backlog of important stuff.