[ClusterLabs] Safe way to stop pacemaker on both nodes of a two node cluster

Roger Zhou ZZhou at suse.com
Sun Oct 20 22:33:49 EDT 2019

On 10/21/19 12:28 AM, Valentin Vidić wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 09:24:31PM +0530, Dileep V Nair wrote:
>> 	I am confused about the best way to stop pacemaker on both nodes of a
>> two node cluster. The options I know of are
>> 1. Put the cluster in Maintenance Mode, stop the applications manually and

To put the whole cluster in the maintenance node is a reliable approach
to shutdown pacemaker gracefully and leave the applications running
behind. It fits the use case per the title of this thread.

>> then stop pacemaker on both nodes. For this I need the application to  be
>> stopped manually
>> 2. Stop pacemaker on one node, wait for all resources to come up on second
>> node, then stop pacemaker on second node. This might cause a significant
>> delay because all resources has to come up on second node.
>>
>> 	Is there any other way to stop pacemaker on both nodes gracefully ?
>
> Maybe this pacemaker option can help?
>
> stop-all-resources FALSE Should the cluster stop all resources?

To shutdown the applications all together with pacemaker, this option is
useful. But be caution about stop failure of the application migrate
trigger stonith. "stonith-enabled=false" could remove such risk.

Cheers,
Roger