[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: Coming in Pacemaker 2.0.3: crm_mon output changes

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Oct 16 02:08:58 EDT 2019

>>> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> schrieb am 15.10.2019 um 18:15 in
Nachricht
<8e638da987edbe3c2b158c705d5620726a021d8e.camel at redhat.com>:

>> Nachricht
>> <bb7ed08d2044a7ccc14bd986cdea709caadee9cb.camel at redhat.com>:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > With Pacemaker 2.0.2, we introduced a new experimental option for
>> > XML
>> > output from stonith_admin. This was the test case for a new output
>> > model for Pacemaker tools. I'm happy to say this has been extended
>> > crm_mon and will be considered stable as of 2.0.3.
>> >
>> > crm_mon has always supported text, curses, HTML, and XML output,
>> > and
>> > that doesn't change. However the command‑line options for those
>> > have
>> > been deprecated and replaced with new forms:
>> >
>> > Old:                New:
>> > ‑‑as‑xml            ‑‑output‑as=xml
>> > ‑‑as‑html=FILE      ‑‑output‑as=html ‑‑output‑to=FILE
>> > ‑‑web‑cgi           ‑‑output‑as=html ‑‑output‑cgi
>> > ‑‑disable‑ncurses   ‑‑output‑as=text
>>
>> I'd prefer "--output-format|output-fmt|format" over "--format-as",
>> because I
>> think it's more clear.
>
> That's a good question, what it should be called. We chose --output-as
> in 2.0.2 for stonith_admin, so that has some weight now. I think the
> main reason was to keep it shorter for typing (there's no single-letter
> equivalent at the moment because there's not an obvious choice
> available across all tools).
>
> I'm open to changing it if there's a lot of demand for it, otherwise
> I'd rather keep it compatible with 2.0.2.
>
>> Accordingly I'd prefer "--output-file" over "--output-to".
>
> I like the more generic meaning of this one. The new approach also
> supports --output-to="-" for stdout (which is the default). One could
> imagine adding some other non-file capability in the future.
>
>> Why not replace "--weg-cgi" with "--output-format=cgi"?
>
> CGI output is identical to HTML, with just a header change, so it was
> logically more of an option to the HTML implementation rather than a
> separate one.
>
> With the new approach, each format type may define any additional
> options to modify its behavior, and all tools automatically inherit
> those options. These will be grouped together in the help/man page. For
> example, the HTML option help is:
>
> Output Options (html):
>   --output-cgi                      Add text needed to use output in a CGI
> program
>   --output-meta-refresh=SECONDS     How often to refresh

God bless the long optionsm, but considering that the only thing that is
refreshed in crm_mon's output is... well the output,,, why not just have
--refresh or --refresh-interval.
Also it wouldn't be too hard (if there's any demand) to allow suffixes like
's' for seconds, 'm' for minutes, and most likely more do not make sense for a
refresh interval.

>   --output-stylesheet-link=URI      Link to an external CSS stylesheet
>   --output-title=TITLE              Page title
>

>> > The new ‑‑output‑as and ‑‑output‑to options are identical to
>> > stonith_admin's, and will eventually be supported by all Pacemaker
>> > tools. Each tool may support a different set of formats; for
>> > example,
>> > stonith_admin supports text and xml.
>> >
>> > When called with ‑‑as‑xml, crm_mon's XML output will be identical
>> > previous versions. When called with the new ‑‑output‑as=xml option,
>> > it
>> > will be slightly different: the outmost element will be a
>> > <pacemaker‑
>> > result> element, which will be consistent across all tools. The old
>> > XML
>>
>> Why not as simple "status" element? "-result" doesn't really add
>> anything
>> useful.
>
> We wanted the design to allow for future flexibility in how users ask
> pacemaker to do something. The XML output would be the same whether the
> request came from a command-line tool, GUI, C API client application,
> REST API client, or any other future interface. The idea is that
> <pacemaker-result> might be a response to a <pacemaker-request>.

But most likely any response will be a kind of result, so why have "result"
explicitly? Also as it's all about pacemaker, why have "pacemaker" in it?
(Remember how easy it was to get rid of "heartbeat"? ;-))
So my argument for "status" simply is that the data describes the status.

> <pacemaker-result> was also introduced with stonith_admin in 2.0.2, so
> that carries some weight, but it was announced as experimental at the
> time, so I'm open to changing the syntax if there's a clear preference
> for an alternative.
>
>> > schema remains documented in crm_mon.rng; the new XML schema will
>> > be
>> > documented in an api‑result.rng schema that will encompass all
>> > tools'
>> > XML output.
>> >
>> > Beyond those interface changes, the text output displayed by
>> > crm_mon
>> > has been tweaked slightly. It is more organized with list headings
>> > and
>> > bullets. Hopefully you will find this easier to read. We welcome
>> > any
>> > feedback or suggestions for improvement.
>>
>> Older versions use a mixture of space for indent, and '*' and '+' as
>> bullets.
>> A unified approach would be either to use some amount of spaces or
>> one TAB for
>> indenting consistently, maybe combined with a set of bullet
>> characters for the
>> individual levels of indent.
>>
>> So "--bullet-list='*+'" and "--indent-string=..." could set such.
>
> That's an interesting suggestion.
>
> The new approach does use a consistent style, with 2-space indents (to
> fit as much as possible in a screen width) and '*' bullets (with an
> additional indent for each deeper level). Also all list headings are
> First Cap ending with a colon (':'). Example:
>
> Active Resources:
>   * Clone Set: myclone-clone [myclone]:
>     * Started: [ f20node1 f20node2 ]
>
> Allowing the bullets and indents to be configurable are something that
> could theoretically be done with new options to the text format.
>
>> > The HTML output gains a new feature as well: it uses CSS
>> > throughout,
>> > rather than ancient HTML formatting, and you can provide a custom
>> > stylesheet (via ‑‑output‑stylesheet‑link=URL) to control how the
>> > page
>> > looks.
>>
>> As it only applies to HTML, why not "--html-style=URL". I think
>> nobody will
>> confuse this with providing the stylesheet literally as parameter...
>
> All of the format options start with "--output-" so we can reserve
> those option names across all tools.

Do you actually have a big matrix of all options available across the tools?
I'd like to see!

> The --output-* options are new in 2.0.3, so we can change them if
> people prefer. We could change this one to "--output-stylesheet" or "
> --output-html-stylesheet".
>

>> > If you are a heavy user of crm_mon, we encourage you to test the
>> > new
>> > release (expected later this week) and let us know what you like
>> > and
>> > don't like. You don't have to upgrade a whole cluster to test
>> > crm_mon;
>> > you can install the new release on a test machine, copy the CIB
>> > from
>> > your cluster to it, and run it like:
>> > CIB_file=/path/to/copied/cib.xml
>> > crm_mon <options>. That won't work with curses output, but you can
>> > test
>> > text, HTML, and XML that way.
>>
>> BTW: Can we rename "-?" (version) to "-V" and "-V" (verbose) to "-v"?
>> That'll
>> be more standard.
>
> Hmm, there's a long history for those. They could be baked into user

Yeah, like sbd options ;-)
Once I've heared rumors that some developers write best code after having had
multiple beers. I won't name the company here, but I was remembering that
saying when seeing those "-1", "-2", etc. options to sbd...

> scripts and higher-level tools. I'd be reluctant to change them unless
> at a major version number bump (3.0.0).
>
>> The possible outputs of "-s" could be documented in greater detail,
>> possibly
>> allowing to query a specific resource (implementing some simple query
>> language)
>> would be great. Not only for "-s", but also for all other output.
>
> For -s in particular, I hope to eventually deprecate it and replace it
> with a separate tool. It's not particularly useful in its current form.
> The new tool would have a lot more control and detail. (For those who
> aren't familiar, "crm_mon -s" behaves like a service plugin for
> monitoring systems such as nagios and icinga.)
>
> We do have plans for new crm_mon options to select a single node or
> resource (or set of particular ones), and a new option to select which
> sections of the output are displayed. But those are at least one more
> version away.

Yeah, but that's important: If some database resource failed, it's probably
more important than other resources running on the same cluster. Even more, One
may want to monitor different resources to allert different people about a
failure. So I think a selective status query is really important.
(Actually I wrote my own tool to allow such years ago)

Regards,
Ulrich