[ClusterLabs] corosync 3.0.1 on Debian/Buster reports some MTU errors

Jean-Francois Malouin Jean-Francois.Malouin at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Thu Nov 21 10:56:46 EST 2019

Hi,

* christine caulfield <ccaulfie at redhat.com> [20191121 03:19]:
> On 18/11/2019 21:31, Jean-Francois Malouin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Maybe not directly a pacemaker question but maybe some of you have seen this
> > problem:
> >
> > A 2 node pacemaker cluster running corosync-3.0.1 with dual communication ring
> > sometimes reports errors like this in the corosync log file:
> >
> > [KNET  ] pmtud: PMTUD link change for host: 2 link: 0 from 470 to 1366
> > [KNET  ] pmtud: PMTUD link change for host: 2 link: 1 from 470 to 1366
> > [KNET  ] pmtud: Global data MTU changed to: 1366
> > [CFG   ] Modified entry 'totem.netmtu' in corosync.conf cannot be changed at run-time
> > [CFG   ] Modified entry 'totem.netmtu' in corosync.conf cannot be changed at run-time
> >
> > Those do not happen very frequenly, once a week or so...
> >

> Those messages are caused by a config file reload (corosync-cfgtool -R)
> being triggered by something. If they're happening once a week then check
> your cron jobs.

no cronjob at work here, but maybe they originate from my own doing, after a
reload, as you suggest.

> > However the system log on the nodes reports those much more frequently, a few
> > times a day:
> >
> > Nov 17 23:26:20 node1 corosync[2258]:   [KNET  ] link: host: 2 link: 1 is down
> > Nov 17 23:26:20 node1 corosync[2258]:   [KNET  ] host: host: 2 (passive) best link: 0 (pri: 0)
> > Nov 17 23:26:26 node1 corosync[2258]:   [KNET  ] rx: host: 2 link: 1 is up
> > Nov 17 23:26:26 node1 corosync[2258]:   [KNET  ] host: host: 2 (passive) best link: 1 (pri: 1)
> >

> Those don't look good. having a link down for 6 seconds looks like a serious
> network outage that needs looking into, especially if they are that
> frequent, or it could be a bug. You don't say which version of libknet you
> have installed but make sure it's the latest one.

libknet1 is 1.8-2 and is the latest one from Debian buster distro.

> The fencing event in your other message was caused because both links were
> down at the same time, which is a worrying co-incidence. Changing the token
> timeout won't make any difference to the knet link events, but if the knet
> links are down for long enough then that will trigger a token timeout and a
> fence event.
>
> Definitely look for something odd in your networking - the corosync.conf
> file looks sane (though having knet_transport in the top-level totem stanza
> is doing nothing), so it's not that.
>
> It's hard to make a judgement with just that info, but look for dropped
> packets on the interfaces, slow response to other network services or very
> high load on one of the nodes. If you can't see anything on the systems then
> enable debug logging and get back to us. If it is a bug we want it fixed!

Since that network outage no errors have crept in the corosync logs (I have
enabled debug on).  I suspect, as you mention, a hardware issue, at the NIC
level, or cabling. I do notice quite a few dropped packets from one of the
links...

Thanks for the reply,
jf