[ClusterLabs] Pacemaker 2.0.3-rc3 now available

Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais jgdr at dalibo.com
Thu Nov 14 09:17:19 EST 2019

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019 17:30:31 -0600
Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:
> A longstanding pain point in the logs has been improved. Whenever the
> scheduler processes resource history, it logs a warning for any
> failures it finds, regardless of whether they are new or old, which can
> confuse anyone reading the logs. Now, the log will contain the time of
> the failure, so it's obvious whether you're seeing the same event or
> not. The log will also contain the exit reason if one was provided by
> the resource agent, for easier troubleshooting.

I've been hurt by this in the past and I was wondering what was the point of
warning again and again in the logs for past failures during scheduling? What
this information brings to the administrator?

In my humble opinion, any entry in the log file should be about something
happening by the time the message appears. And it should appears only once, not
repeated again and again for no (appearing) reasons. At least, most of the
time. Do I miss something?

I'm sure these historical failure warnings raised by the scheduler have been
already raised in the past by either the lrm or crm process in most of the
cases, aren't them?

Unless I'm not aware of something else, the scheduler might warn about current
unexpected status of a resource, not all of them in the past.

Could you shed some lights on this mystery from the user point of view?

Thanks!