[ClusterLabs] shutdown and restart of complete cluster due to power outage with UPS

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 12:00:07 EST 2019

On Tue, 2019-01-22 at 16:52 +0100, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we have a new UPS which has enough charge to provide our 2-node
> cluster with the periphery (SAN, switches ...) for a resonable time.
> I'm currently thinking of the shutdown- and restart-procedure of the
> complete cluster when the power is lost and does not come back soon.
> Then cluster is provided via UPS, but that does not work infinite. So
> i have to shutdown the complete cluster.
> I have the possibility to run scripts on each node which are
> triggered by the UPS.
>
> My shutdown procedure is:
> crm -w node standby node1
>   resources are migrated to node2
> systemctl stop pacemaker
>   stops also corosync
>   node is not fenced ! (because of standby ?)

Clean shutdowns don't get fenced. As long as the exiting node can tell
the rest of the cluster that it's leaving, everything can be
coordinated gracefully.

> systemctl poweroff
>   clean shutdown of node1
>
> crm -w node standby node2
>   clean stop of resources
> systemctl stop pacmeaker
> systemctl poweroff
>
> The scripts would be executed form node2, via ssh for node1.
> What do you think about it ?

Good plan, though perhaps there should be some allowance for the case
in which only node1 is running when the power dies.

> Now the restart, which makes me trouble.
> Currently i want to restart the cluster manually, because i'm not
> completly familiar with pacemaker and a bit afraid of getting
> constellations
> due to automotization i didn't think of before.
>
> I can do that from anywhere because both nodes have ILO-cards.
>
> I start e.g. node1 with power button.
>
> systemctl start corosync
> systemctl start pacemaker
>   corosync and pacemaker don't start automatically, i read that
> several times as a recommendation.
> Now my first problem. Let's assume the other node is broken. But i
> still want to get
> resources running. My no-quorum-policy is ignore. That should be
> fine. But i have this setup now and don't get the resources running
> automatically.

I'm guessing you have corosync 2's wait_for_all set (probably
implicitly by two_node). This is a safeguard for the situation where
both nodes are booted up but can't see each other.

If you're sure the other node is down, you can disable wait_for_all
before starting the node. (I'm not sure if this can be changed while
corosync is already running.)