[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Unexpected resource restart

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Jan 17 12:45:13 EST 2019

On Thu, 2019-01-17 at 07:49 +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:

> <02e51f6d4f7c7c11161d54e2968c23c77c4a1eed.camel at redhat.com>:
> [...]
> > In retrospect, interleave=true should have been the default. I've
> > never
> > seen a case where false made sense, and people get bit by
> > overlooking
> > it all the time. False is the default because it's (theoretically
> > at
> > least) safer when there's nothing known about the particular
> > service's
> > requirements.
> >
> > I should've flipped the default at 2.0.0 but didn't think of it.
> > Now
> > we'll have to wait a decade for 3.0.0 :) or maybe we can justify
> > doing
> > it in a minor bump in a few years.
>
> If you ever change the default, the DTD major version should be
> incremented (the default value is coded in the DTD, I guess),
> independently of the usefulness of the change. (MHO)
> However looking at the RNGs, I couldn't find it...
>
> [...]
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich

The RNGs replace the old DTD (which was actually removed in 2.0.0). The
RNG version is in the file name (e.g. in pacemaker-3.2.rng, 3.2 is the
schema version, not the software version).

The schema major version is bumped when an XSLT transform is needed to
upgrade from the previous version; the minor version is for backward-
compatible additions. A change in a default value wouldn't by itself
necessitate any schema version changes, but if we decided to use a
transform to map any unspecified interleave in old CIBs to an explicit
interleave=false, that would get a major bump.