[ClusterLabs] corosync SCHED_RR stuck at 100% cpu usage with kernel 4.19, priority inversion/livelock?

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 10:49:40 EST 2019

On 02/18/2019 04:15 PM, Christine Caulfield wrote:
> On 15/02/2019 16:58, Edwin Török wrote:

>>> Thanks, that's really quite odd. I have vague recollections of a problem
>>> where corosync was spinning on epoll without reading anything but can't
>>> find the details at the moment, annoying.
>>>
>>> Some thing you might be able to try that might help.
>>>
>>> 1) is is possible to run without sbd. Sometimes too much polling from
>>> clients can cause odd behaviour

That results without sbd might be especially interesting in the light
of the issue being triggered via config-reloads. Sbd has callbacks
registered
(RR at 99 as well) to be kicked off by config-reloads as well.

>>> 2) is it possible to try with a different kernel? We've tried a vanilla
>>> 4.19 and it's fine, but not with the Xen patches obviously
>> I'll try with some bare-metal upstream distros and report back the repro
>> steps if I can get it to reliably repro, hopefully early next week, it
>> is unlikely I'll get a working repro today.
>>
>>> 3) Does running corosync with the -p option help?
>> Yes, with "-p" I was able to run cluster create/GFS2 plug/unplug/destroy
>> on 16 physical hosts in a loop for an hour with any crashes (previously
>> it would crash within minutes).
>>
>> I found another workaround too:
>> echo NO_RT_RUNTIME_SHARE >/sys/kernel/debug/sched_features
>>
>> This makes the 95% realtime process CPU limit from
>> sched_rt_runtime_us/sched_rt_period_us apply per core, instead of
>> globally, so there would be 5% time left for non-realtime tasks on each
>> core. Seems to be enough to avoid the livelock, I was not able to
>> observe corosync using high CPU % anymore.
>> Still got more tests to run on this over the weekend, but looks promising.
>>
>> This is a safety layer of course, to prevent the system from fencing if
>> we encounter high CPU usage in corosync/libq. I am still interested in
>> tracking down the corosync/libq issue as it shouldn't have happened in
>> the first place.
>>
> That's helpful to know. Does corosync still use lots of CPU time in this
> situation (without RT) or does it behave normally?

I'd expect the high load coming from some kind of busy-waiting (hidden
behind whatever complexity) on something that doesn't happen
because it is not scheduled. So I would under this other scheduler
conditions at the max expect a short spike till the scheduler
kicks in.