[ClusterLabs] Gracefully stop nodes one by one with disk-less sbd

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Mon Aug 12 09:24:54 EDT 2019

On 8/12/19 2:30 PM, Yan Gao wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> On 8/12/19 1:39 PM, Klaus Wenninger wrote:

>>> Well, the context here is it loses quorum *expectedly* since the other
>>> nodes gracefully shut down.

>>> Gracefully stopping nodes one by one on purpose is still a reasonable
>>> need though ...
>> If you do the teardown as e.g. pcs is doing it - first tear down
>> pacemaker-instances and then corosync/sbd - it is at
>> least possible to tear down the pacemaker-instances one-by one
>> without risking a reboot due to quorum-loss.
>> With kind of current sbd having in
>> -
>> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/sbd/commit/824fe834c67fb7bae7feb87607381f9fa8fa2945
>> -
>> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/sbd/commit/79b778debfee5b4ab2d099b2bfc7385f45597f70
>> -
>> https://github.com/ClusterLabs/sbd/commit/a716a8ddd3df615009bcff3bd96dd9ae64cb5f68
>> this should be pretty robust although we are still thinking
>> (probably together with some heartbeat to pacemakerd
>> that assures pacemakerd is checking liveness of sub-daemons
>> properly) of having a cleaner way to detect graceful
>> pacemaker-shutdown.
> These are all good improvements, thanks!
>
> But in this case the remaining node is not shutting down yet, or it's
> intentionally not being shut down :-) Loss of quorum is as expected, so
> is following no-quorum-policy, but self-reset is probably too much?
Hmm ... not sure if I can follow ...
If you shutdown solely pacemaker one-by-one on all nodes
and these shutdowns are considered graceful then you are
not gonna experience any reboots (e.g. 3 node cluster).
Afterwards you can shutdown corosync one-by-one as well
without experiencing reboots as without the cib-connection
sbd isn't gonna check for quorum anymore (all resources
down so no need to reboot in case of quorum-loss - extra
care has to be taken care of with unmanaged resources but
that isn't particular with sbd).

Klaus