[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Issue with DB2 HADR cluster

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Apr 3 03:13:58 EDT 2019

>>> Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> schrieb am 02.04.2019 um 19:49 in Nachricht
<6c6302f4-844b-240d-8d0e-727dddf36950 at alteeve.ca>:

[...]
> It's worth noting that SBD fencing is "better than nothing", but slow.
> IPMI and/or PDU fencing completes a lot faster.

I'm surprised: Once sbd writes the fence command, it usually takes less than 3 seconds until the victim is dead. If you power off a server, the PDU still may have one or two seconds "power reserve", so the host may not be down immediately. Besides of that power-cycles are additional stress for the hardware...

So maybe you want to explain why and how much faster IPMI and PDU fencing are.

Regards,
Ulrich