[ClusterLabs] Issue in fence_ilo4 with IPv6 ILO IPs

Ondrej ondrej-clusterlabs at famera.cz
Mon Apr 1 21:51:56 EDT 2019

On 3/31/19 5:40 AM, Rohit Saini wrote:
> Looking for some help on this.
>
> Thanks,
> Rohit

Hi Rohit,

As a good start to figure out what is happening here can you please
provide more detailed information such as:

1. What is the configuration of the stonith device when using IPv4 and
when using IPv6? ('pcs stonith show --full' - you can obfuscate the
username and password from that output, the main idea is if you are
using 'hostname' or 'IP4/6 address here.

2. What does it mean 'sometime' it happens with IPv6? Is there any
pattern (like every night around 3/4 am, or when there is more traffic
on network, when we test XXX service, etc.) when this happens or does it
looks to be happening randomly? Are there any other IPv6 issues present
on system not related to cluster at time when the timeout is observed?

3. Are there any messages from from fence_ilo4 in the logs
(/var/log/pacemaker.log, /var/log/cluster/corosync/corosync.log,
/var/log/messages, ...) around the time when the timeout is reported
that would suggest what could be happening?

4. Which version of fence_ilo4 are you using?
# rpm -qa|grep  fence-agents-ipmilan
# fence-uc-orana

===
To give you some answers your questions with information provided so far:
 > 1. Why is it happening only for IPv6 ILO devices? Is this some known
 > issue?
Based on the data provided it is not clear where is the issue. Could be
DNS resolution, could be network issue, ...

 > 2. Can we increase the timeout period "exec=20006ms" to something else.
Yes you can do that and it may hide/"resolve" the issue if the
fence_ilo4 can finish monitoring in the newly set timeout. You can give
it a try and increase this to 40 seconds to see if that yields a better
results in your environment. While the default 20 seconds should be
enough for majority of environments there might be something requiring
more time in your case that demands more time. Note that this approach
might just effectively hide the underlying issue.
To increase the timeout you should increase it for both 'start' and
'monitor' operation, for example like this:

# pcs stonith update fence-uc-orana op start timeout=40s op monitor
timeout=40s

--
Ondrej