[ClusterLabs] pcs API / python module

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Sep 20 11:37:12 EDT 2018

On Thu, 2018-09-20 at 17:51 +0300, George Melikov wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> are there any official API for pacemaker/pcs? I'm interested in
> python integration especially.
>
> There are pcs module, but looks like it doesn't have stable API? http
> s://lists.clusterlabs.org/pipermail/users/2015-August/001258.html

I don't think pcs has a public API -- even its command-line interface
changes pretty regularly.

Pacemaker has a C API, but that would be challenging to use from
python. There's been interest in creating a REST API, but that's a big
project that no one has tackled yet.

There are some python bits in pacemaker's CTS test suite, but not a
stable API or well-suited for use by other projects. I would like to
generalize it one day into a public python API for pacemaker, but again
that's a big project without any time for it.

I would recommend using the pacemaker command-line tools (crm_resource,
crm_node, etc.). Those interfaces are quite stable, and you could make
python wrappers for executing them.