[ClusterLabs] Pacemaker auto restarts disabled groups

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 17:09:29 UTC 2018

On 09/11/18 13:24 +0000, Ian Underhill wrote:
> Yep all my pcs commands run on a live cluster. The design needs
> resources to respond in specific ways before moving on to other
> shutdown requests.
>
> So it seems that these pcs commands that run on different nodes at
> the same time, is the route cause of this issue, anything that
> changes the live cib at the same time seems to cause pacemaker to
> just skip\throw away actions that that have been requested.

Indeed, that's the tax for a soft split-brain on the administrative
side, which is not very solvable until the pacemaker's database plus
transitions (or whatever higher-level like pcs, but then, exlusivity
of this higher level is not enforcable in any way so it could alway
be circumvented) will become, in a lock-step, a cluster-wide
serializing, ACID-guaranteeing bottle-neck, with all the rechecks
like "am I still quorate" mixed in.  That's because, on the
contrary, pacemaker took the other design path, making for a fast
dynamic adaptations, at the cost of requiring "one-headed" (or more
softly, not colliding on the eventual decisions) control so as not
to compromise generating deterministic, timely outcomes.

Sadly, people are not buying that, applying various antithetical
approaches, like with parallelized Ansible (meaning that the
concept of idempotence was lost somewhere in the naive assumptions
of a static [vs. very dynamic] system without a peer-shared state
[vs. shared state manipulated from whichever end-point]):

https://lists.clusterlabs.org/pipermail/users/2018-June/015133.html

and hence walking on thin ice of "split-brain" management that may
backfire at some point (a lot less tangible than real split brain
from the perspective of shared R/W resources, still with some risks
nonetheless).

Anyway, anyone is welcome to implement said (possibly bypassable as
mentioned) cluster-wide transaction-like (with provable preconditions)
semantics of "critical section" on their own in order to effectively
"deterministicize" the outcomes.  Or perhaps more easily, to avoid
administrative split-brains somewhere higher in the control logic
if at all possible.  Or to learn to live with said downside of the
current arrangement and to not act as if the transaction semantic
and end-to-end reliability was ever guaranteed (again, looking at
naive cluster-wide parallelized automation solutions).

> I have to admit this behaviour is very hard to work with. though in
> a simple system using a shadow cib would avoid these issues, that
> would suggest a central point of control anyway.
>
> Luckily I have/can redesigned my approach to bring all the commands that
> affect the live cib (on cluster shutdown\startup) to be run from a
> single node within the cluster. (and added --waits to commands where
> possible)
>
> This approach removes all these issues, and things behave as expected.

Glad to hear it was surmountable in this case!

-- Jan