[ClusterLabs] Tracking Node Health

Kerry, Ron (ERT/PIR - HPC Storage Software) ron.kerry at hpe.com
Tue Nov 6 10:03:04 EST 2018

We are contemplating implementing a "health" resource based on the
example shown with the ocf:pacemaker:HealthCPU resource agent. This one
will track the availability of some filesystems that are not part of the
HA configuration. The idea is to run other HA resources only on nodes
that have access to those filesystems. Building the new resource agent
seems fairly straight forward. However I am unclear how using a "health"
resource which itself must be running on all cluster nodes to set a
#health node attribute can be effective. As soon as the #health node
attribute is set to red, the "health" resource itself can no longer run
on that node. So how useful can a node-health-strategy set to
migrate-on-red or only-green or even progressive be? It seems the only
usable choice is a strategy of "custom" with explicit rules defined just
for the other cluster resources.

Am I missing something? It certainly would be easier to use
node-health-strategy=migrate-on-red than to define a bunch of custom
rules for resources.

Reference:
http://clusterlabs.org/pacemaker/doc/en-US/Pacemaker/1.1/html-single/Pacemaker_Explained/index.html#s-node-health

--