[ClusterLabs] How to set up fencing/stonith

Casey & Gina caseyandgina at icloud.com
Fri May 18 16:22:41 UTC 2018

> Here is a command to adapt that work to fence a VM connecting to an esxi server:
>
>  pcs stonith create <fence_id> fence_vmware_soap                       \
>    pcmk_host_check="static-list" pcmk_host_list="<nodeid>"             \
>    port="<vm_name>" ipaddr="<esxi IP address>" login="<granted_login>" \
>    passwd="<>password" ssl="1" ssl_insecure="1"                        \
>    login_timeout=60 power_wait=3                                       \
>    op monitor interval=60s
>
> The customer that played with it told me it was working against its vcenter as
> well, but with more latency, so they prefer to connect to the esxi servers.

Thank you for the suggestion, however I don't think I understand the parameters correctly:

pcmk_host_check="static-list" should just be input like that?

pcmk_host_list="<nodeid>" - not sure about this one - I'm guessing this would actually be the same input as the list I was inputting to the HOSTLIST parameter with the external/vcenter approach?

port="<vm_name>" - not sure about this one - with this approach would I need to issue the above command once for each node in the cluster with the respective hostnames?

ipaddr, login, and passwd seem self-explanatory.

I set up a new cluster with the Ubuntu package install of pacemaker and pcs and attempted the following:

pcs stonith create vfencing1 fence_vmware_soap pcmk_host_check="static-list" pcmk_host_list="d-gp2-dbpg0-1=d-gp2-dbpg0-1;d-gp2-dbpg0-2=d-gp2-dbpg0-2;d-gp2-dbpg0-3=d-gp2-dbpg0-3" port="d-gp2-dbpg0-1" ipaddr="10.124.137.100" login="myuser" passwd="mypassword" ssl="1" ssl_insecure="1" login_timeout=60 power_wait=3 op monitor interval=60s

This results in the following error:

Error: Unable to create resource 'stonith:fence_vmware_soap', it is not installed on this system (use --force to override)

In the output of `pcs stonith list`, I see:

Error: no metadata for /usr/sbin/fence_vmware_soap

Do you know why this would occur, and what might resolve it?

Thanks,
--
Casey