[ClusterLabs] Could not start only one node in pacemaker

范国腾 fanguoteng at highgo.com
Tue May 1 22:52:45 EDT 2018

Hi,
The cluster has three nodes: one is master and two are slave. Now we run “pcs cluster stop --all” to stop all of the nodes. Then we run “pcs cluster start” in the master node. We find it not able to started. The cause is that the stonith resource could not be started so all of the other resource could not be started.

We test this case in two cluster system and the result is same:

l  If we start all of the three nodes, the stonith resource could be started. If we stop one node after it starts, the stonith resource could be migrated to another node and the cluster still work.

l  If we start only one or only two nodes, the stonith resource could not be started.

(1)   We create the stonith resource using this method in one system:
pcs stonith create ipmi_node1 fence_ipmilan ipaddr="192.168.100.202" login="ADMIN" passwd="ADMIN" pcmk_host_list="node1"
pcs stonith create ipmi_node2 fence_ipmilan ipaddr="192.168.100.203" login="ADMIN" passwd="ADMIN" pcmk_host_list="node2"
pcs stonith create ipmi_node3 fence_ipmilan ipaddr="192.168.100.204" login="ADMIN" passwd="ADMIN" pcmk_host_list="node3"

(2)   We create the stonith resource using this method in another system:

pcs stonith create scsi-stonith-device fence_scsi devices=/dev/mapper/fence pcmk_monitor_action=metadata pcmk_reboot_action=off pcmk_host_list="node1 node2 node3 node4" meta provides=unfencing;

The log is in the attachment.
What prevents the stonith resource to be started if we only started part of the nodes?

Thanks