[ClusterLabs] Possible idea for 2.0.0: renaming the Pacemaker daemons

Kristoffer Grönlund kgronlund at suse.com
Thu Mar 29 08:35:25 UTC 2018

Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Andrew Beekhof brought up a potential change to help with reading
> Pacemaker logs.
>
> Currently, pacemaker daemon names are not intuitive, making it
> difficult to search the system log or understand what each one does.
>
> The idea is to rename the daemons, with a common prefix, and a name
> that better reflects the purpose.

[...]

> Here are the current names, with some example replacements:
>
>  pacemakerd: PREFIX-launchd, PREFIX-launcher
>
>  attrd: PREFIX-attrd, PREFIX-attributes
>
>  cib: PREFIX-configd, PREFIX-state
>
>  crmd: PREFIX-controld, PREFIX-clusterd, PREFIX-controller
>
>  lrmd: PREFIX-locald, PREFIX-resourced, PREFIX-runner
>
>  pengine: PREFIX-policyd, PREFIX-scheduler
>
>  stonithd: PREFIX-fenced, PREFIX-stonithd, PREFIX-executioner
>
>  pacemaker_remoted: PREFIX-remoted, PREFIX-remote

Better to do it now rather than later. I vote in favor of changing the
names. Yes, it'll mess up crmsh, but at least for distributions it's
just a simple search/replace patch to apply.

I would also vote in favour of sticking to the 15 character limit, and
to use "pcmk" as the prefix. That leaves 11 characters for the name,
which should be enough for anyone ;)

My votes:

pacemakerd -> pcmk-launchd
attrd -> pcmk-attrd
cib -> pcmk-stated
crmd -> pcmk-controld
lrmd -> pcmk-resourced
pengine -> pcmk-schedulerd
stonithd -> pcmk-fenced
pacemaker_remoted -> pcmk-remoted

The one I'm the most divided about is cib. pcmk-cibd would also work. I
would vote against PREFIX-configd as compared to other cluster software,
I would expect that daemon name to refer to a more generic cluster
configuration key/value store, and that is something that I have some
hope of adding in the future ;) So I'd like to keep "config" or
"database" for such a possible future component...

Cheers,
Kristoffer

--
// Kristoffer Grönlund