[ClusterLabs] Fencing libvirt

Jason Gauthier jagauthier at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 10:10:53 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:55 AM Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2018-06-15 at 21:39 -0400, Jason Gauthier wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> >    Previously, I was using fiber channel with block devices.  I used
> > sbd to fence the disks, by creating a small block device, and then
> > using stonith to fence the physical disk block.
> >
> > However, I had some reliability issues with that (I believe it was
> > the
> > fibre channel interfacing, not clustering).  So, I've moved
> > everything
> > to NFS.
>
> Another possibility would be to use qdevice with a third host, so that
> the cluster has true quorum, and then you can use sbd with hardware
> watchdog only (no need for a shared disk).

This is the first time I've heard of qdevice.  So, that said, the man
page indicates it's used on 2 node clusters, or even numbered?

"It is recommended for clusters with an even number of nodes and
highly recommended for 2 node clusters."

But that said, I have two nodes and a shared storage.  I could make
the shared storage device a node, which seems a little odd.   But that
would make a 3rd. I do have another system, but the electricity costs
are already high for this project :)

> > My only resources are virtual machines running with KVM.    So, I am
>
> The VMs are resources, or nodes? The libvirt fence agents are for
> fencing VMs used as full cluster nodes.

The VMs are resources.   So, yeah, libvirt won't work. That explanation helps.
It seems it would be simplest to protect each VM, so that if one node
went "missing" (but still running), the other node would not boot the
VMs and corrupt all the disks.

That's what  thought libvirt did.  So, I still have to figure out some
form of fencing for this.  (Which you suggested above, but I have not
completely processed yet)