[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Resources not monitored in SLES11 SP4 (1.1.12-f47ea56)

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Jun 27 05:41:24 UTC 2018

<1530030128.5202.5.camel at redhat.com>:
> On Tue, 2018-06-26 at 10:45 +0300, Vladislav Bogdanov wrote:
>> 26.06.2018 09:14, Ulrich Windl wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > We just observed some strange effect we cannot explain in SLES 11
>> > SP4 (pacemaker 1.1.12-f47ea56):
>> > We run about a dozen of Xen PVMs on a three-node cluster (plus some
>> > infrastructure and monitoring stuff). It worked all well so far,
>> > and there was no significant change recently.
>> > However when a colleague stopped on VM for maintenance via cluster
>> > command, the cluster did not notice when the PVM actually was
>> > running again (it had been started not using the cluster (a bad
>> > idea, I know)).
>>
>> To be on a safe side in such cases you'd probably want to enable
>> additional monitor for a "Stopped" role. Default one covers only
>> "Started" role. The same thing as for multistate resources, where
>> you
>> need several monitor ops, for "Started/Slave" and "Master" roles.
>> But, this will increase a load.
>> And, I believe cluster should reprobe a resource on all nodes once
>> you
>> change target-role back to "Started".
>
> Which raises the question, how did you stop the VM initially?

I thought "(...) stopped one VM for maintenance via cluster command" is obvious. It was something like "crm resource stop ...".

> If you stopped it by setting target-role to Stopped, likely the cluster
> still thinks it's stopped, and you need to set it to Started again. If
> instead you set maintenance mode or unmanaged the resource, then
> stopped the VM manually, then most likely it's still in that mode and
> needs to be taken out of it.

The point was when the command to start the resource was given, the cluster had completely ignored the fact that it was running already and started to start the VM on a second node (which may be desastrous). But that's leading away from the main question...