[ClusterLabs] difference between external/ipmi and fence_ipmilan

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Tue Jun 26 16:26:05 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-06-26 at 12:00 +0200, Stefan K wrote:
> Hello,
>
> can somebody tell me the difference between external/ipmi and
> fence_ipmilan? Are there preferences?
> Is one of these more common or has some advantages?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> best regards
> Stefan

The distinction is mostly historical. At one time, there were two
different open-source clustering environments, each with its own set of
fence agents. The community eventually settled on Pacemaker as a sort
of merged evolution of the earlier environments, and so it supports
both styles of fence agents. Thus, you often see an "external/*" agent
and a "fence_*" agent available for the same physical device.

However, they are completely different implementations, so there may be
substantive differences as well. I'm not familiar enough with these two
to address that, maybe someone else can.