[ClusterLabs] corosync-qdevice doesn't daemonize (or stay running)

Jason Gauthier jagauthier at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 14:47:41 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 9:49 AM Jan Pokorný <jpokorny at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 21/06/18 07:05 -0400, Jason Gauthier wrote:
> >>
> >> That's very odd. I can see communication with the server and corosync in
> >> there (do it's doing something) but no logging at all. When I start
> >> qdevice on my systems it logs loads of messages even if it doesn't
> >> manage to contact the server. Do you have any logging entries in
> >> corosync.conf that might be stopping it?
> >
> > I haven't checked the corosync logs for any entries before, but I just
> > did.  There isn't anything logged.
>
> What about syslog entries (may boil down to /var/log/messages,
> journald log, or whatever sink is configured)?

I took a look, since both you and Chrissie mentioned that.

There aren't any new entries added to any of the /var/log files.

# corosync-qdevice -f -d
# date
Thu Jun 21 10:36:06 EDT 2018

# ls -lt|head
total 152072
-rw-r----- 1 root        adm          68018 Jun 21 10:34 auth.log
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root        utmp      18704352 Jun 21 10:34 lastlog
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root        utmp        107136 Jun 21 10:34 wtmp
-rw-r----- 1 root        adm         248444 Jun 21 10:34 daemon.log
-rw-r----- 1 root        adm         160899 Jun 21 10:34 syslog
-rw-r----- 1 root        adm        1119856 Jun 21 09:46 kern.log

I did look through daemon, messages, and syslog just to be sure.

> >> Where did the binary come from? did you build it yourself or is it from
> >> a package? I wonder if it's got corrupted or is a bad version. Possibly
> >> linked against a 'dodgy' libqb - there have been some things going on
> >> there that could cause logging to go missing in some circumstances.
> >>
> >> Honza (the qdevice expert) is away at the moment, so I'm guessing a bit
> >> here anyway!
> >
> > Hmm. Interesting.  I installed the debian package.  When it didn't
> > work, I grabbed the source from github.  They both act the same way,
> > but if there is an underlying library issue then that will continue to
> > be a problem.
> >
> > It doesn't say much:
> > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libqb.so.0.18.1
>
> You are likely using libqb v1.0.1.

Correct. I didn't even think to look at the output of dpkg -l for the
package version.
Debian 9 also packages binutils-2.28

> Ability to figure out the proper package version is one of the most
> basic skills to provide useful diagnostics about the issues with
> distro-provided packages.
>
> With Debian, the proper incantation seems to be
>
>   dpkg -s libqb-dev | grep -i version
>
> or
>
>   apt list libqb-dev
>
> (or substitute libqb0 for libqb-dev).
>
> As Chrissie mentioned, there is some fishiness possible if you happen
> to use ld linker from binutils 2.29+ for the building with this old
> libqb in the mix, so if the issues persist and logging seems to be
> missing, try recompiling with the downgraded binutils package below
> said breakage point.

Since the system already has a lower numbered binutils (2.28) I wonder
if I should attempt to build a newer version of the libqb library.

As Chrissie mentioned, I will open a bug with Debian in the Interim.
But I don 't believe I will see resolution to that any time soon. :)