[ClusterLabs] Upgrade corosync problem

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Tue Jul 3 02:53:36 EDT 2018

On 02/07/18 17:19 +0200, Salvatore D'angelo wrote:
> Today I tested the two suggestions you gave me. Here what I did.
> In the script where I create my 5 machines cluster (I use three
> nodes for pacemaker PostgreSQL cluster and two nodes for glusterfs
> that we use for database backup and WAL files).
>
> FIRST TEST
> ——————————
> I added the —shm-size=512m to the “docker create” command. I noticed
> that as soon as I start it the shm size is 512m and I didn’t need to
> add the entry in /etc/fstab. However, I did it anyway:
>
> tmpfs      /dev/shm      tmpfs   defaults,size=512m   0   0
>
> and then
> mount -o remount /dev/shm
>
> Then I uninstalled all pieces of software (crmsh, resource agents,
> corosync and pacemaker) and installed the new one.
> Started corosync and pacemaker but same problem occurred.
>
> SECOND TEST
> ———————————
> stopped corosync and pacemaker
> uninstalled corosync
> build corosync with --enable-small-memory-footprint and installed it
> starte corosync and pacemaker
>
> IT WORKED.
>
> I would like to understand now why it didn’t worked in first test
> and why it worked in second. Which kind of memory is used too much
> here? /dev/shm seems not the problem, I allocated 512m on all three
> docker images (obviously on my single Mac) and enabled the container
> option as you suggested. Am I missing something here?

My suspicion then fully shifts towards "maximum number of bytes of
memory that may be locked into RAM" per-process resource limit as
raised in one of the most recent message ...

> Now I want to use Docker for the moment only for test purpose so it
> could be ok to use the --enable-small-memory-footprint, but there is
> something I can do to have corosync working even without this
> option?

... so try running the container the already suggested way:

  docker run ... --ulimit memlock=33554432 ...

or possibly higher (as a rule of thumb, keep doubling the accumulated
value until some unreasonable amount is reached, like the equivalent
of already used 512 MiB).

Hope this helps.

--
Jan (Poki)