[ClusterLabs] What triggers fencing?

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Jul 9 15:33:44 UTC 2018

On 2018-07-09 09:56 AM, Klaus Wenninger wrote:
> On 07/09/2018 03:49 PM, Digimer wrote:

>>> Given that on a 2-node-cluster you don't have real quorum to make one
>>> partial cluster fence the rest of the nodes the different delays are meant
>>> to prevent a fencing-race.
>>> Without different delays that would lead to both nodes fencing each
>>> other at the same time - finally both being down.
>> Not true, the faster node will kill the slower node first. It is
>> possible that through misconfiguration, both could die, but it's rare
>> and easily avoided with a 'delay="15"' set on the fence config for the
>> node you want to win.
> What exactly is not true? Aren't we saying the same?
> Of course one of the delays can be 0 (most important is that
> they are different).

Perhaps I misunderstood your message. It seemed to me that the
implication was that fencing in 2-node without a delay always ends up
with both nodes being down, which isn't the case. It can happen if the
fence methods are not setup right (ie: the node isn't set to immediately
power off on ACPI power button event).

If the delay is set on both nodes, and they are different, it will work
fine. The reason not to do this is that if you use 0, then don't use
anything at all (0 is default), and any other value causes avoidable
fence delays.

--
Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of