[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Antw: Re: Coming in Pacemaker 2.0.0: /var/log/pacemaker/pacemaker.log

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon Jan 15 10:59:56 EST 2018

On Mon, 2018-01-15 at 12:40 +0000, Adam Spiers wrote:

> > > if multiple packages use the same dir with different owners,
> > > maybe?
> > >
> > > Then they will conflict.
> > >
> > > I just rechecked, creating two dummy packages owning one
> > > directory. If
> > > owner/mode matches, then packages are correctly installed and
> > > directory
> > > is reported to be owned by both.
> > > If there is mismatch, then rpm refuses to install.
> >
> > But for a general solution, do you think it's more clean to have
> > the
> > same directory with identical properties in multiple packages, or
> > have one package that owns that directory?
>
> This question is somewhat redundant in the context of this upstream
> mailing list, since each distribution will make that decision and
> choose a packaging strategy consistent with their own policies.  The
> important point was the previous one, which is that rpm would support
> and handle these approaches correctly, so it's not of sufficient
> concern per se to avoid /var/log/clusterlabs.  (I'm assuming that
> .deb
> does too, although that should be checked.)

Distributions can be stricter than what the rpm command accepts.

E.g. Fedora package review guidelines (and thus RHEL and derivatives):
"Packages must not own files or directories already owned by other
packages." (with rare exceptions)

Debian Policy (and thus derivatives): "Log files should usually be
named /var/log/package.log. If you have many log files, or need a
separate directory for permission reasons (/var/log is writable only by
root), you should usually create a directory named /var/log/package and
place your log files there." (again with rare exceptions)

It makes my life easier to stick with /var/log/pacemaker :-) because I
don't have to coordinate with all the other projects on the
/var/log/cluster vs /var/log/clusterlabs question, and it will work on
all distros without modification. But if there's a strong sentiment for
a common log directory, we still have time to do it.