[ClusterLabs] Does anyone use clone instance constraints from pacemaker-next schema?

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Jan 11 11:21:57 EST 2018

On Thu, 2018-01-11 at 01:16 +0100, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 12:23:59 -0600
> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:
> > My question is: has anyone used or tested this, or is anyone
> > interested
> > in this? We won't promote it to the default schema unless it is
> > tested.
> >
> > My feeling is that it is more likely to be confusing than helpful,
> > and
> > there are probably ways to achieve any reasonable use case with
> > existing syntax.
>
> For what it worth, I tried to implement such solution to dispatch
> mulitple
> IP addresses to slaves in a 1 master 2 slaves cluster. This is quite
> time
> consuming to wrap its head around sides effects with colocation,
> scores and
> stickiness. My various tests shows everything sounds to behave
> correctly now,
> but I don't feel really 100% confident about my setup.
>
> I agree that there are ways to achieve such a use case with existing
> syntax.
> But this is quite confusing as well. As instance, I experienced a
> master
> relocation when messing with a slave to make sure its IP would move
> to the
> other slave node...I don't remember exactly what was my error, but I
> could
> easily dig for it if needed.
>
> I feel like it fits in the same area that the usability of Pacemaker.
> Making it
> easier to understand. See the recent discussion around the gocardless
> war story.
>
> My tests was mostly for labs, demo and tutorial purpose. I don't have
> specific field use case. But if at some point this feature is
> promoted
> officially as preview, I'll give it some testing and report here
> (barring the
> fact I'm actually aware some feedback are requested ;)).

It's ready to be tested now -- just do this:

 cibadmin --upgrade
 cibadmin --modify --xml-text '<cib validate-with="pacemaker-next"/>'

Then use constraints like:

 <rsc_colocation id="id0" score="100"
   rsc="rsc1"
   with-rsc="clone1" with-rsc-instance="1" />

 <rsc_colocation id="id1" score="100"
   rsc="rsc2"
   with-rsc="clone1" with-rsc-instance="2" />

to colocate rsc1 and rsc2 with separate instances of clone1. There is
no way to know *which* instance of clone1 will be 1, 2, etc.; this just
allows you to ensure the colocations are separate.

Similarly you can use rsc="clone1" rsc-instance="1" to colocate a clone
instance relative to another resource instead.

For ordering, the corresponding syntax is "first-instance" or "then-
instance" as desired.

I believe crm shell has higher-level support for this feature.

Personally, I think standard colocations of rsc1 and rsc2 with clone1,
and then an anticolocation between rsc1 and rsc2, would be more
intuitive. You're right that the interactions with stickiness etc. can
be tricky, but that would apply to the alternate syntax as well.