[ClusterLabs] Speed up the resource moves in the case of a node hard shutdown

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Mon Feb 12 16:31:48 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-12 08:15 AM, Klaus Wenninger wrote:
> On 02/12/2018 01:02 PM, Maxim wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> [Sorry for a message duplication. Web mail client ruined the
>> formatting of the previous e-mail =( ]
>>
>> There is a simple configuration of two cluster nodes (built via RHEL 6
>> pcs interface) with multiple master/slave resources, disabled fencing
>> and the single sync interface.
>
> fencing-disabled is probably due to it being a test-setup ...
> RHEL 6 pcs being made for configuring a cman-pacemaker-setup
> I'm not sure if it is advisable to do a setup for a corosync-2 pacemaker
> setup with that. You've obviously edited corosync.conf to
> reflect that ...

Without fencing, all bets are off. Please enable it and see if the issue
remains

Changing EL6 to corosync 2 pushes further into uncharted waters. EL6
should be using the cman pluging with corosync 1. May I ask why you
don't use EL7 if you want such a recent stack?

>> All is ok mainly. But there is some problem of the cluster activity
>> performance when the master node is powered off (hard): the slave node
>> detects that the master one is down after about 100-3500 ms. And the
>> main question is how to avoid this 3 sec delay that occurred sometimes.
>
> Kind of interesting that you ever get a detection below 2000ms with the
> token-timeout set to that value. (Given you are doing a hard-shutdown
> that doesn't give corosync time to sign off.)
> You've derived these times from the corosync-logs!?
>
> Regards,
> Klaus
>

>> On the slave node i have a little script that checks the connection to
>> the master node. It detects a problem of a sync breakage within about
>> 100 ms. But corosync requires a much more time sometimes to figure out
>> the situation and mark the master node as offline one. It shows 'ok'
>> ring status.
>>
>> If i understand correctly then
>> 1 the pacemaker actions (crm_resource --move) will not perform until
>> corosync is not refreshed its ring state
>> 2 the detection of a problem (from a corosync side) can be speeded up
>> via timeout tuning in the corosync.conf
>> 3 there is no way to ask corosync to recheck its ring status or mark a
>> ring as failed manually
>>
>> But maybe i'm missing something.
>>
>> All i want is to move resources faster.
>> In my little script i tried to force the cluster software to move
>> resources to the slave node. But i've no success so far.
>>
>> Could you please share your thoughts about the situation.
>> Thank you in advance.
>>

>> Cluster software:
>> corosync - 2.4.3
>> pacemaker - 1.1.18
>> libqb - 1.0.2
>>

>> corosync.conf:
>> totem {
>>       version: 2
>>       secauth: off
>>       cluster_name: cluster
>>       transport: udpu
>>       token: 2000
>> }
>>
>> nodelist {
>>      node {
>>          ring0_addr: main-node
>>          nodeid: 1
>>     }
>>
>>      node {
>>          ring0_addr: reserve-node
>>          nodeid: 2
>>      }
>> }
>>
>> quorum {
>>      provider: corosync_votequorum
>>      two_node: 1
>> }
>>

>> Regards,
>> Maxim.

>> Bugs: http://bugs.clusterlabs.org

Digimer
"I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of
Einstein’s brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent
have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops." - Stephen Jay Gould