[ClusterLabs] Fence agent executing thousands of API calls per hour

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 17:08:15 EDT 2018

On Wed, 2018-08-01 at 14:47 -0600, Casey & Gina wrote:
> Actually, is it even necessary at all?  Based on my other E-mail to
> the list (Fence agent ends up stopped with no clear reason why), it
> seems that sometimes the monitor fails with an "unknown error",
> resulting in a cluster that won't fail over due to inability to
> fence.  I tried looking at the fence agent to determine which API

A failed monitor (or start) shouldn't prevent the cluster from using
the device for fencing. If actual fence actions are failing, that
should be seen separately from the fence resource failures.

> calls might be being executed but I can't figure that out myself...in
> any case I don't see how this is offering any real value...happy to
> learn how I might be wrong, though...
>
> > On 2018-08-01, at 2:26 PM, Casey & Gina <caseyandgina at icloud.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > How is the interval adjusted?  Based on an example I found online,
> > I thought `pcs resource op monitor interval=15m vmware_fence`
> > should work, but after executing that `pcs config` still shows a
> > monitor interval of 60s.

A resource can have more than one monitor, so that command by itself
just adds a second monitor. You have to delete the original one
separately with pcs resource op remove.