[ClusterLabs] Q: Stickyness across resource restarts

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 15:11:14 UTC 2018

On Thu, 2018-08-16 at 12:50 +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a question, specifically whether this behavior changed not too
> long ago:
> AFAIR, stickyness only affected running resources, i.e. during
> restart a new (=lightly loaded) node was selected for the resource.
> However when I restarted a resource today (SLES11 SP4), the resource
> was started on a busy node, even one node had no resources at all
> after being restarted earlier.
>
> The docs are not very precise on that.
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich

It appears stickiness still applies if the stop and start are scheduled
in the same transition (e.g. failure recovery). That makes sense
because the actions are scheduled based on the state of the resource at
the start of the transition (active). There haven't been any
intentional changes in stickiness behavior in many years. I haven't
tested the behavior with older versions to see if it's different
though.