[ClusterLabs] How to cancel a fencing request?

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Tue Apr 10 05:24:04 EDT 2018

On 04/10/2018 08:48 AM, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Apr 2018 17:59:26 -0500
> Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 00:02 +0200, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:

>>> [...]
>>> Wait, you mean a fencing resource can be triggered from its own
>>> target? Wat
>>> happen then? Node suicide and all the cluster nodes are shutdown?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>> A node can fence itself, though it will be the cluster's last resort
>> when no other node can. It doesn't necessarily imply all other nodes
>> are shut down ...
> Indeed, sorry I was clear enough: I was talking about a fencing race
> situation.
Fencing races - as well if suicide is involved - shouldn't be
prevented by one partition not having quorum.
That should be an issue just with 2-node-feature enabled.
Which scenario did you have in mind?

>> there may be other nodes up, but they are not allowed
>> execute the relevant fence device for whatever reason.
> In such situation, how other node can confirm the node fence itself without
> confirmation?

Basically I see 2 cases:
- sbd with watchdog-fencing where the other nodes assume
  suicide to be successful after a certain time
- basically if a node is able to commit suicide (while part of
  a quorate partition) I would expect it to come back online
  after reboot telling the cluster that the resources are down

Regards,
Klaus