[ClusterLabs] chap lio-t / iscsitarget disabled - why?

Stefan Friedel stefan.friedel at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Tue Apr 3 10:48:00 EDT 2018

Hi all,

we've a running drbd - iscsi cluster (two nodes Debian stretch, pacemaker /
corosync, res group w/ ip + iscsitarget/lio-t + iscsiluns + lvm etc. on top of
drbd etc.). Everything is running fine - but we didn't manage to get CHAP to
work. targetcli / lio-t always switches the authentication off after a migration
or restart.

I found the following lines in the iSCSITarget resource file (Debian stretch
/usr/lib/ocf/resource.d/heartbeat/iSCSITarget, also in
https://github.com/ClusterLabs/resource-agents/blob/master/heartbeat/iSCSITarget.in):

   [...]
   # TODO: add CHAP authentication support when it gets added back into LIO
   ocf_run targetcli /iscsi/${OCF_RESKEY_iqn}/tpg1/ set attribute authentication=0 || exit $OCF_ERR_GENERIC
   [...]

(l384ff on github).

This targetcli command actually disables authentication...but why? Is the
assumption "LIO does not offer CHAP support" still true? Anybody out there who
is successfully using lio-t + iSCSITarget + CHAP?

Any hint is welcome!

MfG/Sincerely
Stefan Friedel
--