[ClusterLabs] Antw: Pacemaker 1.1.18 deprecation warnings

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Tue Sep 19 09:46:08 EDT 2017

On 19/09/17 09:13 +0200, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> <1505756918.5541.4.camel at redhat.com>:
>> As discussed at the recent ClusterLabs Summit, I plan to start the
>> release cycle for Pacemaker 1.1.18 soon.
>>
>> There will be the usual bug fixes and a few small new features, but the
>> main goal will be to provide a final 1.1 release that Pacemaker 2.0 can
>> branch from.
>>
>> As such, 1.1.18 will start to log deprecation warnings for syntax that
>> is planned to be removed in 2.0. So, we need to decide fairly quickly
>> what we intend to remove.
>
> I think it should work the other way 'round: Once pacemaker 2.0
> implemented the replacements, declare the old versions as obsolete.

As apparent from this list, more often than not, people are pretty
conservative regarding the updates (1.1.12 or some such versions
reported are still not an exception).  That alone makes it pretty
sensible to start warning about future incompatibilities as much
ahead of time as possible, and therefore mark the transitional
period clearly.

This may save the hassles when a decision to finally update is made
in the future, even though I'd expect there will be automated upgrade
mechanisms, either in pacemaker proper, or through 3rd party like
clufter (it would actually be a right task for that tool).

> I see little sense in declaring features as obsolete as long as
> there is no replacement available.

I am pretty sure there will be easy to find guide explaining these
replacements once the gory details are figured out, i.e., prior to
2.0 release for which it's going to indeed matter first.

--
Jan (Poki)