[ClusterLabs] Coming in 1.1.18: deprecating stonith-enabled

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon Sep 25 19:53:41 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I thought I'd call attention to one of the most visible deprecations
coming in 1.1.18: stonith-enabled. In order to deprecate that option,
we have to provide an alternate way to do the things that it does.

stonith-enabled determines whether a resource's "requires" meta-
attribute defaults to "quorum" or "fencing". This already has an
alternate method, the rsc_defaults section.

For everything else, e.g. whether to fence misbehaving nodes, and
whether to start resources when fencing hasn't been configured, the
cluster will now check additional criteria.

This my plan at the moment:

Fencing will be considered possible in a configuration if: "no-quorum-
policy" is "suicide", any resource has "requires" set to "unfencing" or
"fencing" (the default), any operation has "on-fail" set to "fence"
(the default for stop operations), or any fence resource has been
configured.

If fencing is not possible, the cluster will behave as if stonith-
enabled is false (even if it's not).