[ClusterLabs] Antw: Is there a way to ignore a single monitoring timeout

Klechomir klecho at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 14:52:25 UTC 2017

On 1.09.2017 17:21, Jan Pokorný wrote:
> On 01/09/17 09:48 +0300, Klechomir wrote:
>> I have cases, when for an unknown reason a single monitoring request
>> never returns result.
>> So having bigger timeouts doesn't resolve this problem.
> If I get you right, the pain point here is a command called by the
> resource agents during monitor operation, while this command under
> some circumstances _never_ terminates (for dead waiting, infinite
> loop, or whatever other reason) or possibly terminates based on
> external/asynchronous triggers (e.g. network connection gets
> reestablished).
>
> Stating obvious, the solution should be:
> - work towards fixing such particular command if blocking
>    is an unexpected behaviour (clarify this with upstream
>    if needed)
> - find more reliable way for the agent to monitor the resource
>
> For the planned soft-recovery options Ken talked about, I am not
> sure if it would be trivially possible to differentiate exceeded
> monitor timeout from a plain monitor failure.

In any case currently there is no differentiation between failed
monitoring request and timeouts, so a parameter for ignoring X fails in
a row would be very welcome for me.

Here is one very fresh example, entirely unrelated to LV&I/O:
Aug 30 10:44:19 [1686093] CLUSTER-1       crmd:    error:
process_lrm_event:    LRM operation p_PingD_monitor_0 (1148) Timed Out
(timeout=20000ms)
Aug 30 10:44:56 [1686093] CLUSTER-1       crmd:   notice:
process_lrm_event:    LRM operation p_PingD_stop_0 (call=1234, rc=0,
cib-update=40, confirmed=true) ok
Aug 30 10:45:26 [1686093] CLUSTER-1       crmd:   notice:
process_lrm_event:    LRM operation p_PingD_start_0 (call=1240, rc=0,
cib-update=41, confirmed=true) ok
In this case PingD is fencing drbd and causes unneeded (as the next
monitoring request is ok) restart of all related resources.