[ClusterLabs] set node in maintenance - stop corosync - node is fenced - is that correct ?

Lentes, Bernd bernd.lentes at helmholtz-muenchen.de
Mon Oct 16 15:20:52 EDT 2017

----- On Oct 16, 2017, at 7:38 PM, Digimer lists at alteeve.ca wrote:

> On 2017-10-16 01:24 PM, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> i have the following behavior: I put a node in maintenance mode, afterwards stop
>> corosync on that node with /etc/init.d/openais stop.
>> This node is immediately fenced. Is that expected behavior ? I thought putting a
>> node into maintenance does mean the cluster does not care anymore about that
>> node.
>>
>> OS on my nodes is SLES 11 SP4.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> Bernd
>
> Well, if you stop corosync, it would appear to leave gracefully from
> corosync's perspective so the other node should know that it didn't
> fail. However, and I am not a pacemaker expert, I would guess that
> pacemaker just saw the membership change that it wasn't expecting and
> invoked a fence.
>
> If you plan to remove a node, it is probably best to stop pacemaker,
> then stop corosync.
>
> Also, 'openais' is oooold. Is this an old cluster? Corosync came out of
> the openais project.

Well, OS is SLES 11 SP4. That's not the most recent one.
Pacmekaer is 1.1.12. I didn't plan to remove the node, but to do some maintenance on it.

If i put the node in standby, then i can invoke "/etc/init.d/openais stop" without that node getting fenced.
But then all resources on that node are stopped/migrated. If i don't want that, i thought maintenance is the right way.
Am i wrong ?

Ah, i just saw that i wasn't complete clear. The node is fenced after stopping openais, not after putting it into maintenance.
I did that via "crm node maintenance <node>"

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. Guenther Wess, Heinrich Bassler, Dr. Alfons Enhsen
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671