[ClusterLabs] Mysql upgrade in DRBD setup

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri Oct 13 15:03:14 EDT 2017

On Fri, 2017-10-13 at 17:35 +0200, Attila Megyeri wrote:
> Hi Ken, Kristián,
>

> Thanks - I am familiar with the native replication, and we use that
> as well.
> But in this scenario I have to use DRBD. (There is a DRBD Mysql
> cluster that is a central site, which is replicated to many sites
> using native replication, and all sites have DRBD clusters as well -
> In this setup I have to use DRBD for high availability).
>

> Anyway - I thought there is a better approach for the DRBD-replicated
> Mysql than what I outlined.
> What I am concerned about, is what will happen if I upgrade the
> active node (let's say I'm okay with the downtime) - when I fail over
> to the other node, where the program files and the data files are on
> different versions...And when I start upgrading that.
>
> Any experience anyone?
>
> @Kristián: my experience shows that If I try to update mysql without
> a mounted data fs - it will fail terribly... So the only option is to
> upgrade the mounted, and active instance - but the issue is the
> version difference (prog vs. data)

Exactly -- which is why I'd still go with native replication for this,
too. It just adds a step in the upgrade process I outlined earlier:
repoint all the other sites' mysql instances to the second central
server after it is upgraded (before or after it is made master, doesn't
matter). I'm assuming only the master is allowed to write.

Another alternative would be to use galera for multi-master (at least
for the two servers at the central site).

Also, it's still possible to use DRBD beneath a native replication
setup, but you'd have to replicate both the master and slave data
(using only one at a time on any given server). This makes more sense
if the mysql servers are running inside VMs or containers that can
migrate between the physical machines.