[ClusterLabs] cluster with two ESX server

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Wed Nov 29 12:14:25 EST 2017

On 11/28/2017 07:41 PM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> 28.11.2017 10:45, Ramann, Björn пишет:
>> hi at all,
>>
>> in my configuration, the 1st Node run on ESX1, the second run on ESX2. Now I'm looking for a way to configure the cluster fence/stonith with two ESX server - is this possible?
> if you have sgared storage, SBD may be an option.

True.
And if you feel like experimenting you can have a look at
https://github.com/wenningerk/sbd/tree/vmware.

On ESX you don't have virtual watchdog-devices with
a kernel-driver sitting on top (contrary to e.g.
with qemu-kvm).
This basically is a test-implementation using
vSphere HA Application Monitoring as a replacement.

In comparison to using softdog this approach doesn't rely
on any working code inside vm to trigger a reboot.

 [root at node4 ~]# sbd query-watchdog

  Discovered 3 watchdog devices:

  [1] vmware
  Identity: VMware Application Monitoring (gray)
  Driver: <unknown>

  [2] /dev/watchdog
  Identity: Software Watchdog
  Driver: softdog
  CAUTION: Not recommended for use with sbd.

  [3] /dev/watchdog0
  Identity: Software Watchdog
  Driver: softdog
  CAUTION: Not recommended for use with sbd.

Have in mind that this is just a proof-of-concept
implementation. So expect any kind of changes and
be aware that in the current state it is definitely
not fit to go into any distribution.

Regarding building you can find VMware_GuestSDK.spec
in the vmware-branch of my sbd-fork.
Basically this builds rpms from the vmware-GuestSDK-tarball -
both library-binary-rpm for the target and devel-rpm
for building vmware-enabled-sbd.

Regards,
Klaus