[ClusterLabs] SBD stonith in 2 node cluster - how to make it prefer one side of cluster?

Klaus Wenninger kwenning at redhat.com
Sat Nov 25 10:38:54 EST 2017

> Wrapping my head around how pcmk_delay_max works, my understanding is
>
> - on startup pacemaker always starts one instance of stonith/sbd; it
> probably randomly selects node for it. I suppose this initial start is
> delayed by random number within pcmk_delay_max.
>
> - when cluster is partitioned, pacemaker *also* starts one instance of
> stonith/sbd in each partition where it is not yet running. This startup
> is also delayed by random number within pcmk_delay_max.
>
> - this makes partition that already has stonith/sbd running win race for
> kill request
>
> Is my understanding correct?

No, pcmk_delay_max delays the stonith-action (like 'reboot') itself
by a random time between 0 and the given value. (btw. meanwhile
there is pcmk_delay_base as well that gives you the possibility to
modify the minimum wait here as well)
If a fencing-device is actually really started or not shouldn't make
much difference. iirc it just tells if (when configured) a periodic
monitoring is done. Pacemaker is going to use fencing-devices
that aren't started as well.
What should make one node win the race instead of both shooting
each other is the randomness in the delay.

Mind that it might look as if a fencing-device would have to be
started to be used because of a bug in pacemaker that was fixed
just recently. But that definitely isn't a behavior you shouldn't
rely on.
Speaking of that thing iirc:

commit 4ad87e494d56e18bcaafa058554573f890517eed