[ClusterLabs] issues with pacemaker daemonization

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu Nov 9 16:49:20 CET 2017

On Thu, 2017-11-09 at 15:59 +0530, ashutosh tiwari wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are observing that sometime pacemaker daemon gets the same
> processgroup id as the process /script calling the "service pacemaker
> start".
> While child processes of pacemaeker(cib/crmd/pengine) have there
> processgroup id  same as there pid which is how things should be for
> a daemon afaik.
>
> Do we expect it to be managed by init.d (centos 6) or pacemaker
> binary.
>
> pacemaker version: pacemaker-1.1.14-8.el6_8.1.x86_64
>

> Thanks and Regards,
> Ashutosh Tiwari

When pacemakerd spawns a child (cib etc.), it calls setsid() in the
child to start a new session, which will set the process group ID and
session ID to the child's PID.

However it doesn't do anything similar for itself. Possibly it should.
It's a longstanding to-do item to make pacemaker daemonize itself more
"properly", but no one's had the time to address it.