[ClusterLabs] question about fence-virsh

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Fri May 19 17:30:16 EDT 2017

On 05/19/2017 03:47 PM, Andrew Kerber wrote:
> What I am trying to say here is when I get one of the virtual machines
> in a bad state, I can still log in and reboot it with the reboot
> command. But I need my fencing resource to handle that reboot.
>
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 1:32 PM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber at gmail.com
> <mailto:andrew.kerber at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Thanks for the answer, but thats not the problem.  I dont have
>     access to the console, its a security issue.  I only have access
>     within the virtual machines, so I want to send the reboot command
>     within the virtual machine, not to the console. Typically our
>     hangups are such that the reboot command works, and the machine
>     hangs at starting back up, and I get an admin to go hit the console.

What you're asking for is an "ssh" fence agent. While such can be found,
they are not considered reliable fence agents.

Your *typical* problem may be solvable with running "reboot" inside the
VM, but there are situations in which that won't work (kernel panic,
loss of network connectivity in the VM, crippling load, etc.). Only
access to the hypervisor can provide a reliable fence mechanism for the VM.

If you're lucky, whoever is providing your VM can also provide you an
API to use to request a hard reboot of the VM at the hypervisor level.
Then, you can see if there is a fence agent already written for that
API, or modify an existing one to handle it.

If you can't even get API access to the hypervisor, then you're not
going to get full HA. You could search for an ssh fence agent, but be
aware that's a partial solution at best, and you won't be able to
recover from certain failure scenarios.