[ClusterLabs] stonith device locate on same host in active/passive cluster

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Thu May 4 10:28:10 EDT 2017

On 05/03/2017 09:04 PM, Albert Weng wrote:
> Hi Marek,
>
> Thanks your reply.
>
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Marek Grac <mgrac at redhat.com
> <mailto:mgrac at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 11:02 AM, Albert Weng <weng.albert at gmail.com
>     <mailto:weng.albert at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         Hi Marek,
>
>         thanks for your quickly responding.
>
>         According to you opinion, when i type "pcs status" then i saw
>         the following result of fence :
>         ipmi-fence-node1    (stonith:fence_ipmilan):    Started cluaterb
>         ipmi-fence-node2    (stonith:fence_ipmilan):    Started clusterb
>
>         Does it means both ipmi stonith devices are working correctly?
>         (rest of resources can failover to another node correctly)
>

>     Yes, they are working correctly.
>
>     When it becomes important to run fence agents to kill the other
>     node. It will be executed from the other node, so the fact where
>     fence agent resides currently is not important
>
> Does "started on node" means which node is controlling fence behavior?
> even all fence agents and resources "started on same node", the cluster
> fence behavior still work correctly?
>

> Thanks a lot.
>
>     m,

Correct. Fencing is *executed* independently of where or even whether
fence devices are running. The node that is "running" a fence device
performs the recurring monitor on the device; that's the only real effect.

>         should i have to use location constraint to avoid stonith device
>         running on same node ?
>         # pcs constraint location ipmi-fence-node1 prefers clustera
>         # pcs constraint location ipmi-fence-node2 prefers clusterb
>
>         thanks a lot

It's a good idea, so that a node isn't monitoring its own fence device,
but that's the only reason -- it doesn't affect whether or how the node
can be fenced. I would configure it as an anti-location, e.g.

   pcs constraint location ipmi-fence-node1 avoids node1=100

In a 2-node cluster, there's no real difference, but in a larger
cluster, it's the simplest config. I wouldn't use INFINITY (there's no
harm in a node monitoring its own fence device if it's the last node
standing), but I would use a score high enough to outweigh any stickiness.