[ClusterLabs] Antw: Resources still retains in Primary Node even though its interface went down

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed May 3 08:34:38 EDT 2017

<CABgaTGmdo+XSzHmCfNLQwiKmjN51eVMPv2qvBNm+pjVmV9CKEw at mail.gmail.com>:
> Hi Experts!!!
>
>               Am having two node setup for HA (Primary/Secondary) with
> separate resources for Home/data/logs/Virtual IP.. As known the Expected
> behavior should be , if Primary node went down, secondary has to take
> in-charge (meaning initially the VIP will point the primary node, so user
> can access home/data/logs from primary node.Once primary node went down,
> the VIP/floatingIP will point the secondary node so that the user can
> experienced uninterrupted service).
>              I'm using dual ring support to avoid split brain. I have two
> interfaces (Public & Private).Intention for having private interface is for
> Data Sync alone.
>
> I have tested my setup in two different ways:
> 1. Made primary Interface down (ifdown eth0), as expected VIP and other
> resources moved from primary to secondary node.(VIP will not be reachable
> from primary node)
> 2. Made Primary Interface down (Physically unplugged the Ethernet Cable).
> The primary node still retain the resources, VIP/FloatingIP was reachable
> from primary node.
>
> Is my testing correct?? how come the VIP will be reachable even though eth0
> was down. Please advice!!!

All things that you don't monitor may fail without cluster actions, unless such things negatively affect monitoring of the rest...

We had a bad case when a failed external NFS server caused some monitors not to complete in time (timeout). The cluster tried to resolve the situation by stopping resources (and eventually fencing nodes), but it was clear that that was a bad choice of actions.

Regards,
Ulrich