[ClusterLabs] newbie question

Sergei Gerasenko gerases at gmail.com
Fri May 5 16:09:04 EDT 2017

Hi,

I have a very simple question.

Pacemaker uses a dedicated "multicast" interface for the totem protocol.
I'm using pacemaker with LVS to provide HA load balancing. LVS uses
multicast interfaces to sync the status of TCP connections if a failover
occurs.

I can understand services using the same interface if ports are used. That
way you can get a socket (ip + port). But there's no ports in this case. So
how can two services exchange messages without specifying ports? I guess
that's somehow related to multicast, but how exactly I don't get.

Can somebody point me to a primer on this topic?

Thanks,
  S.