[ClusterLabs] Syncing data and reducing CPU utilization of cib process

Nikhil Utane nikhil.subscribed at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 02:38:24 EDT 2017

Hi,

In our current design (which we plan to improve upon) we are using the CIB
file to synchronize information across active and standby nodes.
Basically we want the standby node to take the configuration that was used
by the active node so we are adding those as resource attributes. This
ensures that when the standby node takes over, it can read all the
configuration which will be passed to it as environment variables.
Initially we thought the list of configuration parameters will be less and
we did some prototyping and saw that there wasn't much of an issue. But now
the list has grown it has become close to 300 attributes. (I know this is
like abusing the feature and we are looking towards doing it the right way).

So I have two questions:
1) What is the best way to synchronize such kind of information across
nodes in the cluster? DRBD? Anything else that is simpler? For e.g. instead
of syncing 300 attributes i could just sync up the path to a file.

2) In the current design, is there anything that I can do to reduce the CPU
utilization of cib process? Currently it regularly takes 30-50% of the CPU.
Any quick fix that I can do which will bring it down? For e.g. configure
how often it synchronizes etc?

-Thanks
Nikhil