[ClusterLabs] Stonith

Kristoffer Grönlund kgronlund at suse.com
Thu Mar 30 11:45:45 UTC 2017

Alexander Markov <proforg at tic-tac.ru> writes:

> Hello, Kristoffer
>
>> Did you test failover through pacemaker itself?
>
> Yes, I did, no problems here.
>
>> However: Am I understanding it correctly that you have one node in each
>> data center, and a stonith device in each data center?
>
> Yes.
>
>> If the
>> data center is lost, the stonith device for the node in that data
>> center
>> would also be lost and thus not able to fence.
>
> Exactly what happens!
>
>> In such a hardware configuration, only a poison pill solution like SBD
>> could work, I think.
>
> I've got no shared storage here. Every datacenter has its own storage
> and they have replication on top (similar to drbd). I can organize a
> cross-shared solution though if it help, but don't see how.

The only solution I know which allows for a configuration like this is
using separate clusters in each data center, and using booth for
transferring ticket ownership between them. Booth requires a data
center-level quorum (meaning at least 3 locations), though the third
location can be just a small daemon without an actual cluster, and can
run in a public cloud or similar for example.

Cheers,
Kristoffer

--
// Kristoffer Grönlund