[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: snapshots in a clvm environment - some questions for proceeding

Ulrich Windl Ulrich.Windl at rz.uni-regensburg.de
Wed Mar 1 02:11:50 EST 2017

>>> Digimer <lists at alteeve.ca> schrieb am 24.02.2017 um 19:20 in Nachricht
<8762afa9-0f45-04c7-2404-565dcabf9112 at alteeve.ca>:

[...]
> Aside from this, I strongly recommend against snapshots as a backup
> mechanism anyway. There is no way to ensure that that operating system
> and applications are in a clean state when you take the snapshot, so
> using the image is like recovering from sudden power loss. If data was
> in cache but not flushed out, you could have corruption.
>
> If you can't stop your VMs, I'd recommend using a backup application
> inside the VM that knows how to ensure that your apps and the OS are in
> a clean state, particularly for DBs.

Actually that's what we are doing, but at some point in the past I had ruined
the directory with the VM images (user error). THe problem then was that you
need a running VM to restore files inside the VM. This is when you would like
to have a crash-consistent backup image of your VM. However I found no working
solution yet (we have VM images hosted on OCFS2, hosted on a cLVM LV).

Regards,
Ulrich