[ClusterLabs] reboot node / cluster standby

Ludovic Vaugeois-Pepin ludovicvp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 18:38:51 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 7:27 PM, Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 06/29/2017 04:42 AM, philipp.achmueller at arz.at wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In order to reboot a Clusternode i would like to set the node to standby
>> first, so a clean takeover for running resources can take in place.
>> Is there a default way i can set in pacemaker, or do i have to setup my
>> own systemd implementation?
>>
>> thank you!
>> regards
>> ------------------------
>> env:
>> Pacemaker 1.1.15
>> SLES 12.2
>
> If a node cleanly shuts down or reboots, pacemaker will move all
> resources off it before it exits, so that should happen as you're
> describing, without needing an explicit standby.

This makes me wonder about timeouts. Specifically OS/systemd timeouts.
Say the node being shut down or rebooted holds a resource as a master,
and it takes a while for the demote to complete, say 100 seconds (less
than the demote timeout of 120s in this hypothetical scenario).  Will
the OS/systemd wait until pacemaker exits cleanly on a regular CentOS
or Debian?

> Explicitly doing standby first would be useful mainly if you want to
> manually check the results of the takeover before proceeding with the
> reboot, and/or if you want the node to come back in standby mode next
> time it joins.

Ludovic