[ClusterLabs] timeout for stop VirtualDomain running Windows 7

Ken Gaillot kgaillot at redhat.com
Mon Jul 24 17:43:50 EDT 2017

On Mon, 2017-07-24 at 19:30 +0200, Lentes, Bernd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have a VirtualDomian resource running a Windows 7 client. This is the respective configuration:
>
> primitive prim_vm_servers_alive VirtualDomain \
>         params config="/var/lib/libvirt/images/xml/Server_Monitoring.xml" \
>         params hypervisor="qemu:///system" \
>         params migration_transport=ssh \
>         params autoset_utilization_cpu=false \
>         params autoset_utilization_hv_memory=false \
>         op start interval=0 timeout=120 \
>         op stop interval=0 timeout=130 \
>         op monitor interval=30 timeout=30 \
>         op migrate_from interval=0 timeout=180 \
>         op migrate_to interval=0 timeout=190 \
>         meta allow-migrate=true target-role=Started is-managed=true
>
> The timeout for the stop operation is 130 seconds. But our windows 7 clients, as most do, install updates from time to time .
> And then a shutdown can take 10 or 20 minutes or even longer.
> If the timeout isn't as long as the installation of the updates takes then the vm is forced off. With all possible negative consequences.
> But on the other hand i don't like to set a timeout of eg. 20 minutes, which may still not be enough in some circumstances, but is much too long
> if the guest doesn't install updates.
>
> Any ideas ?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Bernd

If you can restrict updates to a certain time window, you can set up a
rule that uses a longer timeout during that window.

If you can't restrict the time window, but you can run a script when
updates are done, you could set a node attribute at that time (and clear
it on reboot), and use a similar rule based on the attribute.