[ClusterLabs] Antw: Re: lrmd segfault

Jan Pokorný jpokorny at redhat.com
Tue Jan 31 09:04:04 EST 2017

On 31/01/17 10:16 +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:
>>> Kristoffer Grönlund <deceiver.g at gmail.com> schrieb am 31.01.2017 um 07:34
>>> in Nachricht <87mve768lx.fsf at suse.com>:
>
> [...]
>> Just from looking at the core dump, it looks like your processor doesn't
>> support the SSE extensions used by the newer version of the code. You'll
>> need to recompile and disable use of those extensions.
>>
>> It looks like the code is using SSE 4.2, which is relatively new:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSE4#SSE4.2
>
> I wonder: Shouldn't this be a part of RPM's preinstallation checks? Despite of
> that I'd expect a SIGILL on illegal instructions. In my personal experience
> errors in any string fuction are typically the consequence of some NULL ponter
> or unterminated C string...

My guess is that it has nothing to do with supported instruction set.
ISTR glibc chooses "fastest optimized" version in runtime according to
what the machine supports.  And "optimized" versions are more prone to
trigger the undefined behavior that may be otherwise tolerated or
deterministic by less optimized siblings.

RPM is not an ABI checker or machine eligibility enforcing tool,
at least not at instruction set granularity.

--
Jan (Poki)