[ClusterLabs] How to Fence Virtualbox VM with Windows 10 as host.

durwin at mgtsciences.com durwin at mgtsciences.com
Tue Jan 24 15:06:43 EST 2017

This is my first attempt at clustering, just so you know the level
required to convey ideas.

I have Windows 10 running Virtualbox with 2 VMs running Fedora 25.  I have
followed 'Pacemaker 1.1 Clusters from Scratch' 9th edition up through
chapter 7.  It works.  I am uncertain as how to fence the VMs with Windows
10 as host.  The output from 'pcs stonith describe fence_vbox' is below.

I have Cygwin installed with sshd configured and running.  I can remotely
ssh into the Windows 10 machine.  I can add the keys from the machines
into Windows authorized_keys so no user/password is required.  I however
do not know which of the options are *required*.  Nor do I know what the
options should be set to.  Some of the options *are* obvious.  If I use
*only* required ones, ipaddr is obvious, login is obvious, but not sure
what port is.  Would it be the name of the VM as Virtualbox knows it?

        ipaddr (required): IP address or hostname of fencing device
        login (required): Login name
        port (required): Physical plug number on device, UUID or
identification of machine

Does the host require anything running on it to support the fence?  Do I
require any other options in addition to 'required'?  How do I test it
from a nodes commandline?

Thank you,

Durwin

fc25> pcs stonith describe fence_vbox
fence_vbox - Fence agent for VirtualBox

fence_vbox is an I/O Fencing agent which can be used with the virtual
machines managed by VirtualBox. It logs via ssh to a dom0 where it runs
VBoxManage to do all of the work.
.P
By default, vbox needs to log in as a user that is a member of the
vboxusers group. Also, you must allow ssh login in your sshd_config.

Resource options:
  action: Fencing action WARNING: specifying 'action' is deprecated and
not necessary with current Pacemaker versions
  cmd_prompt: Force Python regex for command prompt
  identity_file: Identity file (private key) for SSH
  inet4_only: Forces agent to use IPv4 addresses only
  inet6_only: Forces agent to use IPv6 addresses only
  ipaddr (required): IP address or hostname of fencing device
  ipport: TCP/UDP port to use for connection with device
  login (required): Login name
  passwd: Login password or passphrase
  passwd_script: Script to run to retrieve password
  port (required): Physical plug number on device, UUID or identification
of machine
  secure: Use SSH connection
  ssh_options: SSH options to use
  separator: Separator for CSV created by 'list' operation
  delay: Wait X seconds before fencing is started
  login_timeout: Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after login
  missing_as_off: Missing port returns OFF instead of failure
  power_timeout: Test X seconds for status change after ON/OFF
  power_wait: Wait X seconds after issuing ON/OFF
  shell_timeout: Wait X seconds for cmd prompt after issuing command
  retry_on: Count of attempts to retry power on
  sudo: Use sudo (without password) when calling 3rd party software
  ssh_path: Path to ssh binary
  sudo_path: Path to sudo binary
  priority: The priority of the stonith resource. Devices are tried in
order of highest priority to lowest.
  pcmk_host_map: A mapping of host names to ports numbers for devices that
do not support host names. Eg. node1:1;node2:2,3 would tell the cluster to
use port 1 for node1 and ports 2 and 3 for node2
  pcmk_host_list: A list of machines controlled by this device (Optional
unless pcmk_host_check=static-list).
  pcmk_host_check: How to determine which machines are controlled by the
device. Allowed values: dynamic-list (query the device), static-list
(check the pcmk_host_list attribute), none (assume every device can fence
every machine)
  pcmk_delay_max: Enable random delay for stonith actions and specify the
maximum of random delay This prevents double fencing when using slow
devices such as sbd. Use this to enable random delay for stonith actions
and specify the maximum of random delay.
  pcmk_action_limit: The maximum number of actions can be performed in
parallel on this device Pengine property concurrent-fencing=true needs to
be configured first. Then use this to specify the maximum number of
actions can be performed in parallel on this device. -1 is unlimited.

Durwin F. De La Rue
Management Sciences, Inc.
6022 Constitution Ave. NE
Albuquerque, NM  87110
Phone (505) 255-8611

This email message and any attachments are for the sole use of the
intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary and/or confidential
information which may be privileged or otherwise protected from
disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is
prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please contact the
sender by reply email and destroy the original message and any copies of
the message as well as any attachments to the original message.