[ClusterLabs] Status and help with pgsql RA

Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais jgdr at dalibo.com
Fri Jan 6 22:27:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 13:47:34 -0600
Ken Gaillot <kgaillot at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 12/28/2016 02:24 PM, Nils Carlson wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am looking to set up postgresql in high-availability and have been
> > comparing the guide at
> > http://wiki.clusterlabs.org/wiki/PgSQL_Replicated_Cluster with the
> > contents of the pgsql resource agent on github. It seems that there have
> > been substantial improvements in the resource agent regarding the use of
> > replication slots.
> >
> > Could anybody look at updating the guide, or just sending it out in an
> > e-mail to help spread knowledge?
> >
> > The replications slots with pacemaker look really cool, if I've
> > understood things right there should be no need for manual work after
> > node recovery with the replication slots (though there is a risk of a
> > full disk)?
> >
> > All help, tips and guidance much appreciated.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nils
>
> Hmm, that wiki page could definitely use updating. I'm personally not
> familiar with pgsql, so hopefully someone else can chime in.
>
> Another user on this list has made an alternative resource agent that
> you might want to check out:
>
> http://lists.clusterlabs.org/pipermail/users/2016-December/004740.html

Indeed, but PAF does not supports replication slots itself.

As far as I understand the pgsql RA, the parameter "replication_slot_name" is
only useful to generate the slot names, create them on all nodes and add the
"primary_slot_name" parameter in the generated recovery.conf files for each
node. Other admin considerations are in the hands of the user.

As PAF does not take care of the recovery.conf files altogether, it is
quite easy to have the same behavior: just create the required slots on all
nodes by hands and set up accordingly the recovery.conf files.